"Wireless World" of December 3rd 1924
"LPZ" - The high power station at Buenos Aires
Another of the world's giant wireless stations has reached completion at Monte Grande, near Buenos Aires, in the Argentine. The photograph shows the appearance of the main building, which is in a architecture similar to that adopted by most of the designers of modern high power stations.
Two high frequency machines are installed, one being employed for transmission whilst the other is in reserve. The high frequency generator gives an output of 1000 amperes, 750 volts at a frequency of 6000. The station which is now conducting constant traffic with Europe operates on a wavelength of 17,300 metres when communicating with this country, whilst other wavelengths are used for communication with North and South America, the Continent, and other parts of the world.
This station has not been built entirely by one commercial wireless company, but is the outcome of the efforts of several companies whitch have combined in the production of Argentine's largest wireless installation. The station is erected for communication not only with the continents of both North and South America, but in addition, conducts traffic and maintains communication between the Argentine and nearly all other countries of the world. The fact that the station has been designed and erected by a combination of the greatest wireless companies in the world facilitates this object, because, in planning the station, consideration was given to the fact that it was destined to communicate with other stations belonging to various companies, or installed by them, all over the world.
The transmitting station is erected on a site some 12 miles from the City of Buenos Aires, whilst the receiving equipment is located at Villa Elisa some 30 miles from the city. The aerial at the transmitting station is directional north-west to south-west that is to say, directional to Europe and it consists of two halves forming a giant T supported by ten high masts of approximately 680 ft. each. Each half of the T aerial is composed of 16 wires about 1,270 metres in length. Six of the masts are built by the Telefunken Company, and the remaining four by the French company, C.T.S.F. The aerial is supported in some 200 places, and 1000 insulators are used for this pupose. The masts which support the aerial wires are in pairs, with supports of steel cables run between them. These supports carry the aerial wires, which are on insulated rollers, and at either end of the aerial the wires are weighted. These weights being 40 kg. each, and serving to maintain the requisite tension and to compensate for any variation in the length of the aerial wires due to differences of temperature. It is perhaps difficult when one is in the habit of thinking of aerial wires of, say, 100 ft. in length, to realise the enormous strain which can result from expansion or contraction of the wires constituting the aerial system of one of the high power stations. By employment of the compensating weight, these differences in length due to variations in temperature are self-adjusting without exercising any additional strain either on the aerial wires themselves or on the supporting masts.
The earthing arrangement consists of a buried network, and in addition, overground wires supported at the height of ten metres from the ground.
The central power station at Buenos Aires provides the electrical power for operating the station. On arrival at the station the supply in transformed down from 12,500 volts to 3,200 volts, and supplies two motors, which drive the dynamo and other machinery utilised in the equipment of the station.
|< Prev||Next >|